The Milwaukee Penguins

The Milwaukee Penguins is the Division 1A collegiate football team for Milwaukee College. We're a school "known for its academics." This is a record of our accomplishments, on the field and off.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Season 2, Game 1: @ Ball State

Milwaukee College Penguins (#113) vs. Ball State Cardinals (#103)

Ah ... new beginnings. My current job security, despite my success in recruiting Straka (CB #1), is rated as a "D+" - on the verge of failing. Not only do I think and hope my team will do well this season, but I *need* them to do well. Or it's back to the lower divisions.

When Mikulay (LE #45) starts the first defensive play from scrimmage with a sack, I'm thinking good things. Then, on their next play, their freshman quarterback burns our secondary for a long touchdown pass. I couldn't believe it. All the problems we sought to address in the off-season are still present. We are still vulnerable to the long pass, and to the big play.

I started Koch (QB #22) instead of now junior quarterback Root (QB #5). That was a big game-time decision. Ultimately, though, I felt that Root played well coming off the bench. I wanted to get the more mobile Koch into the mix early.

He performed well, responding to the Ball State touchdown drive with one of his own, finishing with a touchdown pass to Montgomery (WR #15). Koch wasn't without his share of mistakes, but I was impressed with his numbers: 162.7 rating, 23-35 for 334 passing yards, 3 TDs, 2 INT and also 10-39 rushing yards (3.8 avg). The 162.7 rating is the highest of any quarterback I've coached! The 2 interceptions, however, were very costly. Both occurred in the red zone, and the last INT happened within the last minute of play, on a potentially game-tying drive. He also tended to hold the ball a little longer than he should've, resulting in at least two of the three sacks against him. But I like the guy's confidence.

After the game, my job security is down to just a "D" but I'm actually quite optimistic about our team's chances this year.

STATS: MKE vs. BALL

score: 31-38
first downs: 26-12
total offense: 496-491
rushes - yards: 36-162 --- 12-73
comp-att-TD: 23-35-3 --- 14-22-3
passing yards: 334-418
sacked: 3-1
turnovers: 3-1
fumbles - lost: 1-1 --- 1-1
intercepted: 2-0
t.o.p: 22:23 - 9:37

KEY PLAYERS (Offense)

Koch (QB #22) 162.7 rating 23-35 for 334 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT; 10-39 rush
Wetzel (HB #47) 17-73 rush; 8-100 yards rec, 1 TD
Montgomery (WR #15) 4-72 yards rec, 2 TDs
Khalafian (TE #80) 4-60 yards rec
Love (RT #70) 7 pancakes

KEY PLAYERS (Defense)

K. Anderson (SS #26) 5 tackles (2 for loss), 1 pass deflect
Ziegeweid (FS #34) 4 tackles
Bennett (CB #10) 3 tackles (1 for loss)
Geigel (FS #23) 3 tackles
Straka (CB #1) 2 tackles, 3 pass deflects

Notes: Next game is against my alma mater, Northwestern University. It's also our homecoming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home