The Milwaukee Penguins

The Milwaukee Penguins is the Division 1A collegiate football team for Milwaukee College. We're a school "known for its academics." This is a record of our accomplishments, on the field and off.

Monday, August 01, 2005

Post-Game Meal

At the suggestion of my star Right Guard, Buccheri (RG #59), we decided to console ourselves after a disheartening defeat by making pesto. She and our Kicker, Goodman (K #30), have grown quite a bit of basil that needs harvesting. Apparently, if one lets the leaves of the basil plant grow too big, the more bitter the taste. I didn't mind it at all - I'll take my medicine for all the bonehead plays I asked Ross (QB #1) and the rest to run - and I used the bitter leaves to make my first batch of vegan pesto.

Here's the recipe I used:

1/2 cup of basil
1/2 cup of parsley
4 tbsp of oregano
1 tbsp of thyme
1 tbsp of rosemary
3 tbsp of pinenuts
2 tbsp of barley miso (brown miso)
about a 1/4 cup of olive oil

Put all the ingredients, including the olive oil, into the blender and then run it. It was sumptuous. In the end, we made three different batches of pesto, Buccheri and Goodman electing to make theirs with a really expensive cheese. I think it was called Reggiano. Goodman thought his was too bitter and actually elected not to eat it.

Our sophomore Corner Back, Bennett (CB #10), popped in unexpectedly, as is her wont. The humiliation of the game forgotten in the humidity and the herbs, I didn't talk to her at all about blown coverages. Or anything about football. Her verdict on the pesto: she didn't think mine was bitter at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home