The Milwaukee Penguins

The Milwaukee Penguins is the Division 1A collegiate football team for Milwaukee College. We're a school "known for its academics." This is a record of our accomplishments, on the field and off.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Season 2, Game 9: vs University of Houston

University of Houston Cougars (3-4, #87) @ Milwaukee College Penguins (4-4, #73)

As a courtesy to one of my best friends in college that I just recently started speaking to again thanks to instant messenging, I put Houston on the schedule. Houston's a weird city, one I remember for the beautiful young girls and boys at weddings. It's also a city with a whole slew of Taco Cabanas, kind of like a Taco Bell but actually good.

As for their college football team, the Cougars: Who knew that they had recruited one of the fastest wide receivers in the draft? Now their very capable quarterback has an excellent target. I fought this kind of game before, throwing a double-man coverage on the star receiver.

It didn't work entirely this time. They scored touchdowns in their first FOUR possessions. A slugfest.
Luckily, Koch (QB #22) and company took up the gauntlet so that by half-time, we were only down by eleven. Each quarterback was on his way to over 300 yards passing.

Second-half adjustments. Throw more dime coverage, lull them into trying to run against us. We exchange stalled drives before we scored on Koch's third touchdown pass. This time it was to senior tight end Khalafian (TE #81), making the score 35-31 in their favor.

Our defense scored another a three-and-out and Koch was leading the Penguins to their first lead, to their first time over .500. Gunning for Sieczek (TE #86), he forces the throw and gets intercepted. This was in the fourth quarter. Will we ever win another game at our beloved Rolling Mills playing field?

My mom (MLB #43) did everything she could to achieve that end, forcing a fumble on the Cougars' next possession. The newly-dyed Germain (DT #91) flops on the ball and here we go again. Some long throws and poof ...

But we couldn't do it. I mis-managed the clock. I made some dumb play calls. The buck stops here. It's my fault.

STATS: HOU @ MKE

score: 35-31
first downs: 17-23
total offense: 451-439
rushes - yards: 20-84 --- 33-119
comp-att-TD: 18-30-4 --- 20-38-3
passing yards: 367-315
sacked: 2 - 4
turnovers: 2 - 1
fumbles - lost: 1 - 1 --- 0 - 0
intercepted: 1 - 1
top: 13:46 - 18:14

KEY PLAYERS (Offense)

Koch (QB #22) 143.1 rating, 20-38 for 315 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT
Wetzel (HB #47) 24-124 rush (5.1 avg), 1 TD; 5-34 rec (10.7 avg), 2 TD
Khalafian (TE #80) 8-136 rec (17.0 avg), 1 TD
Columbus (WR #82) 3-49 rec (16.3 avg)
Bogner (LT #52) 9 pancakes

KEY PLAYERS (Defense)

McClone (CB #46) 5 tackles (1 for loss), 1 sack
Ziegeweid (FS #34) 4 tackles, 1 pass deflect
Bennett (CB #10) 4 tackles (1 for loss)
K Anderson (SS #26) 3 tackles, 1 INT

Note: I lost my dad (LOLB #50) to an injury. They say he's out for three weeks. Yikes. I remember a time a couple of years ago. Dad had just driven me, my brother (the red-shirted corner back - how I wish I hadn't red-shirted him this year), and my mom from my oldest brother's place near Boston. It was Thanksgiving weekend. The 5-hour drive seemed to take its toll on him and when we got home, he felt unusually cold. On top of that, except for my mom we all got food poisoning. It was such that somewhere around 3 AM, mom wanted to take dad to the hospital. Mom doesn't drive so she had to get me or my brother to do it. My brother felt quesy so he couldn't do it. I got myself out of bed, feeling sick as well, and staggered out into the dark upstairs hallway. Then I passed out. When I woke up soon after, I decided to give up the ghost and puke. "Get rid of the poisons." (I hate it when my players exert themselves such that they have to puke.) Anyway, my mom decided to call the ambulance. Everything's alright now. Dad plays his heart out. So does mom. And next year, I'm betting my brother will, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home