The Milwaukee Penguins

The Milwaukee Penguins is the Division 1A collegiate football team for Milwaukee College. We're a school "known for its academics." This is a record of our accomplishments, on the field and off.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Pre-Game Rituals

Before tonight's game, I attended a Yoga class with my Kicker, Goodman (K #30). As one of my consistent performers so far - a coil of steady nerves, a powerful right leg, and the calmness of, well, a yogi - I figured that participating in one of his pre-game rituals might do me some good. The class was held in a basement of a mansion, in a low-ceilinged, carpeted room. The class was led by the younger sister of one of my Right Ends, Miller (RE #62).

What I like about Yoga is that there is, at least in this class, a constant acknowledgement of your body. I'm directed to think about it, to feel my breath travel down the length of my body and exit through the tips of my toes, wafting with it a message of peace, leaving behind relaxation. I'm given timely reminders to drop my shoulders. If every college football player would engage in some Yoga, the world would be a better place.

At the end of the class, Goodman said, "Namatse" which I think translates to "Thanks." This is significant. Bring on the University of Alabama - Birmingham Blazers.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Namaste translates as "I bow to you." It is usually pronounced with hands held in Anjali mudra, a position of reverence, respectful acknowledgement of the divinity in self, other, cosmos.

    I agree that more football players should practice yoga, but not the health club kind that involves electronic music and weights.

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I thought it meant, "The light in me recognizes the light in you." Considering your kicker's skepticism regarding supernatural forces and disdain for figurative language, I think it's safe to assume his utterance was strictly phatic.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home