The Milwaukee Penguins

The Milwaukee Penguins is the Division 1A collegiate football team for Milwaukee College. We're a school "known for its academics." This is a record of our accomplishments, on the field and off.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Homecoming

Ah, the pageantry of homecoming. For me, I was just happy to be back in Milwaukee, after four difficult road games. The city is going crazy ... and that's before the game. General rioting, utter violence of the ilk I wrote about earlier. I don't know. When a fight breaks out between two of my charges I always say "Save it for the field." Works every time. Well, almost.

Yesterday, I was feted by one of the homecoming queens. Call it "coach's prerogative." At the local vegan eatery, I had a seitan philly; however, the messiness that I usually enjoy about the sandwich disturbed me. One of the cafe workers, perhaps as a gesture to "go and have a good game", gave me a sample of the fruit soup she was about to put in the 'fridge to chill overnight. Overall a most pleasant meal, and despite seeing my starting Left End, Mikulay (LE #45), outside of the eatery, I did not talk one bit about football with the charming co-ed. We wondered about the essential qualities of seitan, grieved over the general disarray of the world, and shared stories about family vacations. The Penguins' 0-4 win-loss record completely forgotten. Well, almost.

For now, the horrors of the UA-Birmingham game behind us, and soon within the safe confines of our playing field at Rolling Mills, and hopefully with at least five thousand or so crazed Penguin fanatics, we'll face our goliath proudly. The University of Wisconsin Badgers, currently ranked #35 in the latest coaches' poll, features a 2nd Team All-American halfback, will be our toughest opponent yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home